Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
GW2timer in browser has no sound
Topic Started: Monday, 6. July 2015, 08:07 (2,440 Views)
BobKyle
Unregistered

When using GW2timer in Google Chrome, the world boss alerts, nor the TP Alerts will play any sound.
Quote Post Goto Top

Drant
Member Avatar

Open this example link in Chrome, do you hear the words?

Do you have speakers on? Is the alarm enabled? Does the sound work on Firefox or Internet Explorer, but not on Chrome? What is your Chrome version?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

BobKyle
Unregistered

The example link works.

My speakers are on.

The alarm setting is on (currently set to Checklist for boss timer).

The alert works in Internet Explorer.

My Chrome version is "Version 43.0.2357.130 m".
Quote Post Goto Top

Drant
Member Avatar

Are you running any Chrome extensions, particularly those that block stuff on websites? gw2timer's alarm system works by updating a hidden iframe HTML element with a src URL pointing to a link like the one I gave you. When that happens, Chrome plays the sound file automatically behind the scene.

Is this the first time you're using the website on Chrome? Or the problem happened recently? I'm running the same Chrome version as you and I'm having trouble finding why it's not working for you.

Drant
Member Avatar

Also, on the Chains page, click on the speaker icon and tell me if you hear anything. Or at least does the browser make the circle loading icon appear?

BobKyle
Unregistered

Clicking on the speaker causes the tab to show the loading icon, but it nothing else.

I tried disabling all of my extensions and trying it again, but the same happens. Endless loading icon, no sound.

This happened recently, around a couple weeks or more.
Quote Post Goto Top

Drant
Member Avatar

I had a friend test it on his Chrome and it played the sound fine. I will have to conclude that there's something wrong on your end, and I haven't a clue why that is so.

I'm guessing Chrome is your primary browser and you'd prefer to use it to view gw2timer, but the only workarounds I can think of is using another browser like Firefox, or reinstalling Chrome if you really need that feature?

Alternatively, you can try installing Chrome portable to a temporary folder (I assume it doesn't interfere with your current installation) and see if it works on that instance (or even try Chrome on a different computer if you have). If it works then something must've changed with your native installation of Chrome and if you could remember the time the problem first happened and correlate the changes you might have done, maybe you can pinpoint the source.

BobKyle
Unregistered

Reinstalling Chrome seems to have worked. Thank you for the help!
Quote Post Goto Top

SomeCharr

I just wanted to quick report here I had the same issues in Chrome (v. 44.0.2403.107) in the past 2 days with no sound on GW2Timer for the alarm system when it was working consistently previously.

• All other sounds work in game
  • All sounds work on Chrome for different websites
  • The test audio link above also played sound.
  • The test sound feature on GW2Timer did not play any audio.

Steps taken to solve
I whitelisted the site for Ghostery (v. 5.4.6), no change.
I stopped AdBlock (v. 2.36.2) for GW2Timer.com only, sound works!

AdBlock shows that the filter "EasyList" has updated 2 days ago. Most likely an update from this filter blocked the HTML to play the sound. Hope this helps anyone else that may be having similar issues.
Edited by SomeCharr, Wednesday, 29. July 2015, 17:19.

Drant
Member Avatar

During the last two or three days Chrome isn't playing on my system either. I think it might be Google's crackdown on use of its undocumented API (web services), as the Text-to-Speech service I use for gw2timer isn't exactly meant for outside of their Google Translate service.

I'll try to find out how to circumvent it and still use Google's service, since the voice sounds nice and it's available in numerous languages. If all else fails, I'll have to use the TTS system currently used for Firefox, which is a male English only voice. Alternatively, I can try the speech synthesis feature built-in to Chrome browser.

Tell me if the problem is persisting, so I'll hurry with migrating the service from Google Translate to the alternatives.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GW2Timer.com - GW2 - Guild Wars 2 · Next Topic »