Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
New voice pack; About the new voice
Topic Started: Friday, 1. January 2016, 09:11 (1,557 Views)
adripin
Unregistered

So, i just heard a different voice on the timer and i don't quite like it. Is there any way to have the previous voice pack?
Quote Post Goto Top

Drant
Member Avatar

What browser are you using? What language did you select on the website? What is the accent of the voice you heard?

There is no "voice pack", you only hear a different voice if you select a different language. There is a Voice Synthesis Text-to-Speech system when you use Chrome browser, and a mp3 service when you use other browsers. Both services use Google's voice, like the one you hear in Google Translate.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drant
Member Avatar

Looks like there's a bug with the 2016 February version of Chrome, so you'll only be getting a robotic English voice instead of the more natural sounding multilingual ones. Hopefully Chrome will resolve it on their end, or I'll have to look for some workarounds.

Drant
Member Avatar

As of 2016 September, the site now uses three Text-To-Speech (TTS) types:

Google Speech Synthesis: For Chrome browser only. Uses Google's natural sounding voices generated from Google server.
ResponsiveVoice.JS: For all other browsers, and the Internet Explorer version of the overlay. Uses Google's natural sounding voices from mp3 downloaded in parts from the provider's server.
meSpeak.js: For the Chromium version of the overlay. Uses synthetic sounding voices generated from the browser itself after automatically downloading an additional script file from the website.

All three TTS engines support multiple languages. If you don't hear the sounds or they sound weird then please reply to this thread.

Paubo

I am not enjoying the voice on the new chromium version, I love the voice through the chrome browser. I guess it is the meSpeak, which is pretty harsh for me (might be from the reverb on my xfi). Also had trouble getting it to play any voice initially. I had to delete the options and language files I think.

The older chrome version of GW2 Navi had the pleasing google speech synthesis, but your new version scrolls a lot smoother, guess for now I'll use the chrome when I want event alerts.

But aside from the voice it is working excellently, love it, thank you so much! :^^:

Drant
Member Avatar

I think you're talking about the IE version of the overlay, because the Chromium overlay doesn't have Chrome's speech synthesis capability, nor the ability to play mp3s unless specially compiled. I had to use meSpeak because it plays .wav I believe, which Chromium apparently can play.

The reason I moved to Chromium (thanks to user ffd114) was that IE is way too slow, and when I found a workable voice system, it was a definite switch, as the speed and usability are much worthy of the the sound quality sacrifice. If all you need is the alarm, then you can just use your Chrome browser for the site.

djzombie
Unregistered

I have Firefox and no matter what language I click there is always English voice
Quote Post Goto Top

Paubo

Drant
Wednesday, 28. September 2016, 08:51
I think you're talking about the IE version of the overlay, because the Chromium overlay doesn't have Chrome's speech synthesis capability, nor the ability to play mp3s unless specially compiled. I had to use meSpeak because it plays .wav I believe, which Chromium apparently can play.

The reason I moved to Chromium (thanks to user ffd114) was that IE is way too slow, and when I found a workable voice system, it was a definite switch, as the speed and usability are much worthy of the the sound quality sacrifice. If all you need is the alarm, then you can just use your Chrome browser for the site.

No i meant the unoffical chrominium version from like january, I'm pretty sure it had chrome speech but I could be wrong :)
Edited by Paubo, Saturday, 1. October 2016, 01:35.

Drant
Member Avatar

djzombie I did not see your post before, sorry.

It appears Firefox added Speech Synthesis to version 49 (I was using 48) so the website used that. Unfortunately Firefox appears to only support English right now, that's why you're only hearing the synthetic-sounding English voice.

I've now made the Google-generated Text-To-Speech exclusive to Chrome, while all other browsers will use the ResponsiveVoice.JS provided mp3s, so that all browsers will be multilingual.

If you're using the Chromium overlay, you will still hear the natively generated robotic voice due to the embedded browser's limitation.

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GW2Timer.com - GW2 - Guild Wars 2 · Next Topic »